Following Governor Mills' declaration of a state of civil emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to update you on the Maine State Bar Association's (MSBA) plans for the next several weeks and provide you with resources that may support you through this new time.
Changes at Bar Headquarters
The health and safety of our staff, members, and community are important. To that end, we have instituted the following changes:
- Staff are working remotely. If you need assistance, please call. Voice mail messages will be returned.
- Bar Headquarters is closed to the public through April 30.
- In-person CLE programs have been postponed. Other CLE seminars, such as telephone seminars and webinars, are available here.
Bar Talk & Messages from President Thaddeus Day
- Join President Day and ED Armstrong daily at 11:15 a.m. for Bar Talk: Daily Zoom Updates During the COVID-19 Crisis. Details here.
- View previous Bar Talks here.
- Chat notes: 4-1 here. 4-2 here.
- Read MSBA President Day's March 25 message here.
Federal, State and County Emergency Orders, Legislation & Alerts
- Read the Judicial Branch's emergency orders and scheduling changes here.
- Gov. Mills' Stay-at-Home Order (March 31, 2020)
- General Order: Court Operations Under the Exigent Circumstances Created by the COVID-19 Coronavirus & Related Pandemic Precautions (U.S. District Court: March 31, 2020)
- COVID-19 Tax Alert: Maine, Massachusetts & D.C. Now Conforming to July 15, 2020 Filing and Payment Deadline (With Important Limitations) (March 27, 2020)
- COVID-19: Paycheck Protection Program: Is this the solution you have been waiting for? (March 27, 2020)
- MSBA Requests Emergency Order Allowing Remote Notarization (March 25, 2020)
- Proposed Legislation: COVID-19 CARES Act: Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act. Read the alert here.
- Region 1 Court Orders:
- An Order Regarding Essential Businesses and Operations (Gov. Mills: March 24, 2020)
- Probate Court Orders: Androscoggin County | Cumberland County | Kennebec County | Sagadahoc County
- Families First Coronavirus Response Bill
- Find information about the Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act and the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act here.
- Read the March 25 update here.
- COVID-19 Update for ME and NH Employers
- Legislative Alert: Maine Governor's Emergency Bill LD 2167
- Update on COVID-19 and Maine Workers' Compensation
- Maine Legislature Passes COVID-19 Omnibus Bill re Public Meetings, Finance, and Other Municipal Concerns
- Emergency Bill Offers New Flexibility in Maine's Unemployment Insurance Program
- VLP is seeking family law attorneys to register at Free Legal Answers, in order to help answer coronavirus-related FM questions.
Guidance for Businesses and Employers
CLE & Coronavirus
- The ABA is offering a variety of CLE webinars and on-demand products that address your questions on the outbreak. View and register for the webinars here.
Remote Work Resources
- Download the Thomson Reuters remote work checklist here.
Mental Health Resources for the Legal Profession During COVID-19
We're here to serve you. If you have any questions, please contact Executive Director Angela Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (207) 622-7523.