Legally Racist Book Discussion
Friday, September 18, 2020
The Alpha Institute and the Maine Humanities Council will present a 3-part panel book discussion to members of the legal community called "Legally Racist: How Laws & Legal Norms Perpetuate Systemic Racism and What It Would Take to Change." The books include:
- Zong! by M. NourbeSe Philip
- The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Panelists include Corey Hinton, Leigh Ingalls Saufley, Arisa White, Erick Giles, Sonia Irambona, Sarah Schindler, Joby Thoyalil, Abdulkadir Ali, Joseph Jackson, Michael Kebede, and Melvyn Zarr. Krystal Williams and Michele Hicks-Curry will serve as hosts.
The discussions are scheduled as follows:
- Language & the Law: Sept. 24 at 4 p.m.
- Race & Real Estate: Oct. 22 at 11:30 a.m.
- Criminal Justice & Race: Nov. 12 at 11:30 a.m.
All panels have been approved for 1.5 CLE credits. For more information and to register, click here.