COVID-19 Update from MSBA President Day: March 25, 2020
Wednesday, March 25, 2020
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the state, I want to inform you of the steps the Maine State Bar Association has taken to ensure that its staff, members, and the greater community remain safe and healthy.
· Bar Headquarters is closed to the public.
· MSBA staff are working remotely. All staff have access to office phones, voicemail, and email.
· In-person CLE seminars are postponed. We are actively working to make previously scheduled live programs available via webcast.
· Other CLE options are available on the CLE Calendar here.
· The Board of Governors meeting on March 24 proceeded via teleconference.
· Our website now includes a "COVID-19 Response" web page.
We intend to continue the highest level of service to our members and the public while also cooperating to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the weeks to come. To that end, I share the following information and opportunities:
Online Resources: The COVID-19 Response page here is designed to serve as a resource to our members. I encourage you to visit that page, where you will find links to important information, such as:
· Emergency Orders from the Judicial Branch
· Guidance for businesses and employers
· Free CLE webinars from ABA that address your questions about coronavirus
· Remote work resources
· Mental health resources
· Maine and U.S. Centers for Disease Control
· Changes and updates from Bar Headquarters
Educational Resources: Today, at 2:00 p.m., we will offer a free webinar to help attorneys with their communications and responsibilities to their employees and clients. You can find details and a registration link here.
Law Day Opportunities: While statewide school closings will prevent us from visiting schools, we believe that the MSBA's Law Day contests can be incorporated into remote learning. To that end, we will contact schools, the media, and the Maine Principals' Association again, in order to spread the word. Information about the Law Day contests is available here.
We will keep monitoring the situation closely and reassessing week by week. Staff are working to keep you informed. We will continue to provide updates to our website and social media, as well as through email.
Members who have questions about Judicial Branch operations and interpreting the Orders issued by same, that are not answered at the website, can email directly to the MSBA; we will work hard to get you timely answers.
You all do important work; note that Governor Mills' Executive Order yesterday included "Legal" as an essential business. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this extraordinary time.
Thaddeus V. Day