Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Leader?
The MSBA Leadership Academy is an eight-month leadership-training program to foster the professional growth and enhance the leadership skills of a diverse group of member attorneys. If you've been practicing between two and 10 years, and you're interested in Bar leadership, this program may be for you. Or, if you know just the right candidate, please encourage him or her to apply!
October 9, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
November 2018 at Bar Headquarters
(Date and Time TBA)
To promote and encourage leadership and professionalism by identifying present and future leaders who are members of the Maine State Bar Association, and by providing them with a program designed to develop leadership skills; foster camaraderie; and expose them to leaders in the legal, business and government communities.
Up to 12 attorney members of the MSBA who have been in practice for at least two years and no more than 10 years will be selected for the Academy. In an effort to achieve diversity among the participants, qualified individuals will be sought from different backgrounds, large and small law firms, the private and public sectors, different practice areas, and different areas of the state. Generally, the monthly programs will be 2 to 4 hours in duration and may require travel time as well. The program will cover participants' CLE credits for one year.
Sample Educational Sessions
- What Does it Take to Be a Leader?
- Comment Or No Comment
- Public Speaking Workshop
- Executive Coaching
- Harassment, Discrimination & Ethics
- Running a Board Meeting
- Maine Business Leaders
- Book Club/Discussion
- Participant is a member in good standing of the Maine State Bar Association.
- Participant was first admitted to the Bar no less than two years ago and no more than 10 years ago.
- Attendance and participation (including any homework assignments) are required at each of the sessions from November through June. (Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.)
- An MSBA Leadership Academy Participation Fee of $950 is due upon acceptance into the Academy. (Limited financial aid may be available, depending on resources. However, all participants must pay at least a portion of the fee to demonstrate their commitment.) For financial aid information, please email or call Heather Seavey at 207-622-7523.
View the complete Leadership Academy brochure for additional information and an application.