CLE CREDITS: 1.0 ethics (PRACPRO)
Focus on attorney mental health issues - Maine Bar Rule 5(c)(1))P
Attorneys have a much higher rate of anxiety, depression, and stress than other profession. Stress among attorneys is a serious problem and can impact the attorney’s ability to sufficiently help clients. While many professional occupations come with pressure, attorneys face uncommonly tough challenges that lead to unhappiness and burnout. Stress experienced by attorneys is so far above the norm that it can only be described as “outlier stress.” This program explores how vitality, connectivity, and sustainability can counter the effects of stress.
The program begins by outlining these specific stressors cited most frequently by attorneys in the facilitator’s study:
- A sense of having no control over work/life
- Frustration with not being able to sufficiently help clients or make a difference
- Excessively demanding and often adversarial work
Vitality lays a foundation for well-being by optimizing the physical, psychological and mental resiliency integral to feeling in command – no matter what is happening externally. The focus is on:
- Thinking and behaving in ways that stimulate confidence, commitment and endurance
- Clarifying values and priorities so the most important, highest level work gets done
- Galvanizing the energy and focus for thriving in the face of unpredictable demands
Connectivity builds on vitality by enhancing alliances and creating feelings of contribution and camaraderie. Emphasis is placed on:
- Establishing satisfying client relationships despite inevitable obstacles
- Increasing personal and professional fulfillment through social involvement
- Communicating more artfully to get results more quickly
Sustainability maximizes attorney stamina in the face of monumental workloads and extraordinary expectations. The goal here is:
- Creating structures that foster smart decision-making and innovating problem-solving
- Asserting with diplomacy, whether with difficult colleagues or challenging clients
- Emulating the habits of career athletes and other peak performers – despite constant distractions, demands, and deadlines.
Presenter: Amy Wood, Psy.D., Falmouth
» MSBA Member: $50
» CLE Club Members: $40
» Support Staff of Club Member: $40
» Non-Members: $70
» Legal Support Staff/Paralegal: $45
» MSBA Student Member: $10
Supported Operating Systems:
• Windows 8 or higher
• Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
• Microsoft EDGE
• Google Chrome
• Mozilla Firefox
• Apple Safari (for Mac)
A broadband connection providing
3-5Mbps is highly recommended. IMPORTANT
If you will be accessing any of the online content at a work location, it is HIGHLY recommended that you first check with your IT department or Network Administrator to make sure that you have appropriate permissions to install programs and/or the ability to access streaming media.
This program must be watched at the scheduled time and date in order to receive live credit.
If viewed after the program you will receive general self-study credit.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT US!