CLE Credits: 3.5 ethics
Registration: 8:15 a.m. | Schedule: 8:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
The attorney’s most sacred obligation is protecting her clients, and that obligation takes many forms. One of the most obvious (and highly-regulated) requirements attaching to that obligation relates to managing clients’ funds.
Even so, many attorneys overlook or misunderstand what they need to do in terms of managing IOLTA trust account funds. In practice, this often means that attorneys are, even unintentionally, impermissibly comingling funds between accounts, or worse, converting funds for their own use that they should be holding on behalf of their clients as financial fiduciaries.
Even if such actions don’t lead to an ethics investigation or penalties, clients are damaged when their lawyers don’t manage their money appropriately; and, in the case of IOLTA funds, legal charitable endeavors see reduced contributions, which has a significant effect on access to justice initiatives.
Who should attend:
- Solo and small firm attorneys managing their own trust accounts.
- Attorneys and other law firm staff who do retainers, fee and time calculations, billing, and bill collections.
- Law firm staff, especially bookkeepers, and associated vendors, like accountants, who work with law firm trust accounts and receive and deposit payments of funds for clients.
- Any lawyer who wants to gain a better understanding of trust accounting principles.
- Financial management and accounting for the law firm.
- Ethical considerations for managing practice finances.
- Workshop: Spot discrepancies: Using software to manage trust funds.
- The Details: Bookeeping; chart of accounts.
- Trust accounting best practices.
Moderator: Jared D. Correia, Esq., CEO, Red Cave Law Firm Consulting, Boston
MSBA Membe: $95
CLE Club Members: $70
Support Staff of Club Member: $70
Legal Support Staff/Paralegal: $85
MSBA Student Member: $15
Coursebook via web link: $0
Coursebook via hardcopy: $30*
*In order to have your textbook available at the program, we must receive your registration 7 working days before the program. If we receive your registration after the 7 days, we will send your coursebook after the program.
HOW TO REGISTER
Members and Non-Members need to log in to see the proper registration fees.
- Members: If you are a member of the MSBA, please sign in to receive the member rate.
- Non-Members & Non-Attorneys: If you have attended any MSBA event in the past, you have an account with us. If you do not know your username or password, please call the MSBA. We will provide you with login credentials so you can register online.
- If you have never attended an MSBA event: Please call the MSBA or mail or fax this registration form to register.
Walk-in registrations are welcome and
payment must be made at the time of registration. Walk-in registrants will receive the link at the program to download the materials.
Full refunds will be given to those who cancel by 4:30 p.m., 5 working days prior to the program. Registrants who cancel after this deadline but prior to the program date will be charged an administrative fee of $15 per credit hour, but may choose to receive either the seminar video package (if applicable) for self-study credit or a credit towards another seminar for the remaining balance. A link to download and print the materials will be sent to those who fail to cancel in advance. QUESTIONS? CONTACT US!