Online registration will close the day before a program. We encourage you to pre-register if you want a link to the program materials prior to the program.
A Matter of Law Firm Financial Practice & Trust: Everything You Wanted to
Know About Trust Accounting But Were Afraid to Ask
CLE CREDITS: 3.50 ethics (PRACPRO)
The attorney’s most sacred obligation is protecting her clients, and that obligation takes many forms. One of the most obvious (and highly-regulated) requirements attaching to that obligation relates to managing clients’ funds.
Even so, many attorneys overlook or misunderstand what they need to do in terms of managing IOLTA trust account funds. In practice, this often means that attorneys are, even unintentionally, impermissibly comingling funds between accounts, or worse, converting funds for their own use that they should be holding on behalf of their clients as financial fiduciaries.
Even if such actions don’t lead to an ethics investigation or penalties, clients are damaged when their lawyers don’t manage their money appropriately; and, in the case of IOLTA funds, legal charitable endeavors see reduced contributions, which has a significant effect on access to justice initiatives.
Why you should attend:
- Solo and small firm attorneys managing their own trust accounts.
- Attorneys and other law firm staff who do retainers, fee and time calculations, billing,
and bill collections.
- Law firm staff, especially bookkeepers, and associated vendors, like accountants, who work with law firm trust accounts and receive and deposit payments of funds for clients.
- Any lawyer who wants to gain a better understanding of trust accounting
Who should attend:
- Solo attorneys managing their own trust accounts.
- Law firm staff, especially bookkeepers, and associated vendors, like accountants, who work with law firm trust accounts.
- Any lawyer who wants to gain a better understanding of trust accounting principles.
For topics and faculty, download the brochure above.
MSBA Member: $105
CLE Club Members: $75
Support Staff of Club Member: $75
Legal Support Staff/Paralegal: $85
Student Member: $15
Coursebook via web link: $0
Coursebook via hardcopy: $30*
*In order to have your
textbook available at the program, we must receive your registration 7 working days before the program. If we receive
your registration after the 7 days, we
will send your coursebook after the program.
HOW TO REGISTER
Members and Non-Members need to log in to see the proper registration fees.
- Members: If you are a member of the MSBA, please sign in to receive the member rate.
- Non-Members & Non-Attorneys: If you have attended any MSBA event in the past, you have an account with us. If you do not know your username or password, please call the MSBA. We will provide you with login credentials so you can register online.
- If you have never attended an MSBA event: Please call the MSBA or mail or fax this registration form to register.
Full refunds will be given to those who cancel by 4:30 p.m., 5 working days prior to the program. Registrants who cancel after this deadline but prior to the program date will be charged an administrative fee of $15 per credit hour, but may choose to receive either the seminar video package (if applicable) for self-study credit or a credit towards another seminar for the remaining balance. A link to download and print the materials will be sent to those who fail to cancel in advance.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT US!