Brought to you in partnership with WebCredenza
These telephone seminars are presented by national speakers who are experts in their areas of practice often ABA Section chairs, authors of books in their areas of practice, and heads of practice groups.
This annual program will provide you with a wide ranging review of ethics developments important to your practice. The program will cover subtle but important legal issues when you use various forms of common technology – smartphones, tablets, the “cloud” and social media – to communicate with clients, the courts and other attorneys, store and retrieve client files, and use social media for investigations or to promote your services. The program will also cover ethical issues when you refer work out to other attorneys, engage in co-counsel relationships, or supervise the work of paralegals and legal secretaries. Significant decisions related to conflicts of interest, the attorney-client privilege, and confidentiality will also be reviewed. This program will provide you with a practical review of important ethics developments impacting your law practice.
Day 1 – May 22, 2014:
- Confidentiality and security issues when client files are stored in the “cloud”
- Review of major developments in conflicts of interest
- Ethics when supervising paralegals and legal secretaries
- Special issues in co-counsel and referral relationships
Day 2: May 23, 2014:
- Attorney-client privilege and confidentiality update
- “Hot docs” – you have something you shouldn’t, now what?
- Attorneys and social media – case investigations and attorney advertising issues
Lucian T. Pera, Adams & Reese, LLP – Memphis
William Freivogel, Freivogel Ethics Consulting – Chicago
Thomas E. Spahn, McGuireWoods, LLP – McLean, Virginia office
Once registered you will receive from the MSBA an email containing the toll-free telephone number to call on the day of the seminar. You will also receive a pdf containing the materials for the program to print. This email will be sent to you the day before the program date.