MSBA Legislative Update 05-8-09
- The bill proposing to modernize Maine’s courts (LD 882) was voted ought-to-pass as amended by the Judiciary Committee. The strong support from the Committee to help with the facilities’ needs will help the proposal move quickly through the legislative process.
- The proposal to establish a commission on indigent legal services has been voted unanimously ought-to-pass as amended by the Judiciary Committee. The amendment addressed the areas of concern which were raised by MSBA and MACDL. The amendment has not yet been released, but is expected during the week of May 11.
- Foreclosure issues are still under discussion before the Insurance and Financial Services Committee, with work sessions scheduled for Monday, May 11 starting at 9:30 on bills such as LD 641 (notice to assessors of foreclosure actions), and LD 1418 (mandatory mediation in foreclosures) to be further discussed.
UPDATE ON BIENNIAL BUDGET
The Appropriations Committee has been working daily to deliberate on the proposals for inclusion in the biennial budget for fiscal years 2010-2011. The Committee hopes to reach agreement on the biennial budget by early next week, so the budget can go to the full Legislature for its ultimate deliberations and vote. We expect this weekend will be a critical time for the Committee’s deliberations, and I expect them to be working long hours over the weekend. We will continue to provide you with updates throughout the budget process, but always feel free to contact us with specific questions.
For the status of other issues of interest, please review the attached Legislative Database.
- LD 148 (notice of foreclosure to tenants) – Work Session 5/11/09 at 9:30 a.m., Room 427 of the State House.
- LD 641 (notification to municipal assessor re foreclosure) – Work Session 5/11/09 at 9:30 a.m., Room 427 of the State House.
- LD 1028 (municipal home rule) – Work Session 5/6/09 at 1:00 p.m., Room 216 of the Cross Office Building.
- LD 1418 (preventing unnecessary foreclosure) – Work Session 5/11/09 at 9:30 a.m., Room 427 of the State House.
An updated Legislative Database is linked to this Weekly Report for your information. It contains any newly introduced bills that we have identified of interest to the MSBA, along with updated status listings of previously introduced bills.
Click here for your Legislative Database.
Click here for a text document of this report.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions:
Pattie Aho at 207-622-6311 or email@example.com