CLE Credits: 1.0 ethics
Target Practice Areas: Ethics
Brought to you in partnership with WebCredenza
These telephone seminars are presented by national speakers who are experts in their areas of practice often ABA Section chairs, authors of books in their areas of practice, and heads of practice groups.
This program will discuss ethical issues in billing and collecting lawyers’ fees. The program will cover keeping timesheets, providing clients descriptions of work, and common misconceptions about what’s properly billable – and what’s not. The program will cover practical issues like how to handle internal conferences, advancing litigation expenses and billing for them, managing third-party payment for a client’s representation and issues related to the attorney-client privilege. Fee sharing and new, alternative billing arrangements, such as flat fee billing, will also be covered. This program will provide you with a real world guide to a range of significant ethics issues in billing and collecting fees.
- Time sheets, descriptions of work, what’s billable and what’s not
- Double billing, duplication of work, transient billers, and internal conferences
- Fee sharing with other lawyers and new, alternative billing arrangements
- Billing for other lawyers’ services – contract lawyers, part-time lawyers, outsourcing
- Third-party financial responsibility for a representation – ethical and privilege issues
- Advancing litigation expenses, extending loans, and billing for expenses
- Collection of fees
Matthew Corbin, AON Risk Services – Kansas City
Please Note: You will receive an email 1-2 days before the program with the toll-free telephone number that you will call on the day of the seminar. You will also receive the program materials that you can print or save to your desktop.