Brought to you in partnership with WebCredenza
These telephone seminars are presented by national speakers who are experts in their areas of practice often ABA Section chairs, authors of books in their areas of practice, and heads of practice groups.
There is often a tension between religious organizations - churches and church-affiliated groups, like child care centers and health clinics - and civil law. Unlike other nonprofit organizations, they have specifically faith-based missions that may run counter to the patterns of civil law - or have special exemptions from it. This includes tax and real estate law, health care law and principles of nonprofit governance, employment law and the First Amendment. The array of issues confronting these organizations can be bewildering. This program will provide you with a real-world guide to the law of religious organizations, including discussions of employment, health care, tax, First Amendment, governance and civil litigation issues.
Day 1 - April 22, 2014:
- Framework of the law of religious organizations
- Choice of entity for churches and church-related organizations
- Tax exempt status - obtaining and maintaining it, fundraising and reporting to the IRS
- Compensation of minsters, wage and hour issues, and health care benefits offered to church workers
- Church hiring practices, federal law and the First Amendment
Day 2 - April 23, 2014:
- Liability for volunteer activity in church-related activities
- Charitable health care services offered to the public and the mandates of health care reform
- Ministerial misconduct and reporting child abuse
- Special legal issues related to child care services
- Real estate development, special zoning issues and real estate finance
L. Martin Nussbaum, Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP - Colorado Springs, Colorado
Once registered you will receive from the MSBA an email containing the toll-free telephone number to call on the day of the seminar. You will also receive a pdf containing the materials for the program to print. This email will be sent to you the day before the program date.